Sunday, October 09, 2005

Safe Sex a Thing of the Past?

Is the practice of safe sex becoming a thing of the past? Unfortunately with the recent trends of increased "bareback" activity, it apparently is. Is the world becoming a victim of its own success when it comes to STD and HIV prevention? Now that there are more and more available medicines, and in the wake of years of safer sex promotion, are we seeing more HIV and STD infections again because the threat, now less, seems "less real" to people?

Why bring this topic up in a Gay Dads' forum? Well, we are supposed to be setting examples for our children, right? So why the hell are we acting like irresponsible teenagers? But it's not only our example, it's our very lives, I'm talking about. I don't know about you, but I want to stay alive for my childrens' sake, as well as to see my own grandchildren some day.

We gay parents, of all people in the gay community, really need to speak up and educate more on this topic.

I found this article this morning on a fantastic little New Zealand web group run by Tenicks. Check out his site and read the full article here.

Yours,
David

No comments: